Life in Poetry reading, writing, reflecting

Life in Poetry reading, writing, reflecting
April showers bring May flowers

Tuesday 16 April 2019

⌗AtoZ challenge, April 16th 2019, letter N

Here is my contribution to the A to Z Challenge of April 2019.
This is the first time I am participating in this challenge, so we'll see if I have the stamina to complete the whole month !

I am also, very ambitiously, writing for the April NaNoWriMo ! So the challenge is
twofold !! But I'm behind in the NaNoWrite, 1500 words out of 10 000 because I'm concentrating on research and building bridges with my contacts.



Hang on to your horse and enjoy the ride. And good luck to all my fellow participants.


If you would like to know more and maybe participate in the future go here
A special thanks to John Holton today for his post to make things easier for everyone and offer even more encouragement.


N is for Nothing

I had Nothing planned for today but I found a poem I wrote for one of my Open University Creative Writing courses (A 215) from back in 2009. This was for the Final Exam, along with another poem, My Father in My Bones, that you can find in my ⌗28days challenge MOURN post, on this blog, February 24th 2019.
The latter was published in the Program Anthology of December 2012, theme Remember. The former isn't as good, but I'm still fond of it, like all my little babies..The real ones I love much, much more, to the Moon and Back.


Between Two Nowheres

The other half of half-afraid opens many a door
Brenden Kennelly


Where does half-afraid stop
and half-not-afraid start ?
Where does despair end
and elation begin ?
Between sinking and floating
the edge is slim.

A spark, a smile, a hug
surges from stomach to mind.
And I'm on top of the wave.
The faster the surf, the fear
disappears, never even there;
but the crash in the foam
is all the deeper, as if I care.

Between two nowheres,
as somewhere can become
nowhere, in an instant.
A light out in the dark
switches off, suddenly.
And shadows creep
and smother me.
©susanbauryrouchard

Sorry it's a tat dark ! I'm in a better place now.
To cheer you up, here are some songs that I have been listening to these past few days.


Ring o' ring o' Roses from Charlotte Gainsbourg's Album REST, 2017. I got this for my Birthday on Saturday,  to see the video, go here
and the official video for the REST album as a whole in which her children appear, two girls and a boy,  go here

Nothing Else from the album SNOW, by Angus and Julia Stone, 2017. Also a Birthday present.

I got a Woman by Ray Charles,  extract from the movie Ray,  2005,  go here
Another birthday present, (3 CD Album) as I've just seen the film and didn't have any of his.
A song which I find a bit sexest but symptomatic of woman's place in society in the 50's. Even more so for an African-American woman from the Southern States. The way Ray also treated his women !   go here

And to dream. Also listened to this morning, from the Blue Double Album, 1967-70.
Lucy in the Skies with Diamonds, The Beatles, 1967, all you ever wanted to know about the song,
go here   and to listen to the song in full, once more with the beautiful video from St Pepper,
A Fool on the Hill, The Beatles, 1967, the video from the film Magical Mystery Tour, go here
for the full song,  go here
and  to link up with my poem : Nowhere Man, The Beatles, 1966, performed LIVE, Circus Krone Munich,  go here

That's all Folks for today, see you tomorrow. I have some time at last to visit more of the Master List. Thank you for reading and bearing with me ! Have a nice A to Z, ' N ' day.

Heavy rain all night and this morning, early, here in Toulouse, France. The Westerly wind is now chasing the clouds away, a slice of blue, here and there, the sun peeping, shooting rays on my desk in waves.


Braganza, Portugal, July 2017


Please comment and I will be sure to reply.