Life in Poetry reading, writing, reflecting

Life in Poetry reading, writing, reflecting
April showers bring May flowers

Tuesday 26 February 2019

⌗28 days, February 24th, MOURN

MOURN


My Father in my Bones


Again he is in my head. In his armchair, he mutters;
reads the paper, politics. From his lips flows
contempt for a boss from his past.

He is smoking. Curls of grey climb and stain
the ceiling, the walls. A yellow light lingers.
The radio bellows: cymbals clash and trumpets roar.

I hear angry shouting through the door.We share
the same nightmares. Piranesi staircases wind up
and roller-coast down. Now he is gone.

In my own house there's a drizzle. Cruises my bones.
Weaves a path between flesh and veins.
A patter of rain falls on the panes. It slithers

in broken lanes. On iron railings it drips, drops.
On the window rim it seeps into stone. Pools of icy
water sketch landscapes. A map of the world.


We share the geography he loved. He used to pore 
over an atlas, fighting forgotten battles. He dreamt
of perfect quests into unknown lands, I dream too.

We share a passion for history. When I think, whimpers
of wash creep up over cutting moss, I shudder.
Aches skate across my shoulder blades.

I remember him in his chair. A garden seat in the shade
of the hazelnut tree. Even in warm weather
he shivered beneath a tight woolly.

His small boned hands at the end of my arms are numb.
I have blisters bobbing bubbles, bruised chins
and shins. We share a razor sharp blood line.

We share the notes of a tune tumbling
into bass booms and silent grumbling.

©susanbauryrouchard

published Paragram Anthology, Remember, December 2014.

My father died in September 2005. I wrote this poem in January 2009. It was twice this size. I edited it a first time between February and May 2009; then again in 2012 and 2013. After it was published, I didn't touch it again. My mourning was complete.